2005 Ford Escape - AC issue

Blower for heater/AC stops blowing when I press the accelerator. When I let off the gas, the blower returns to operation after a few seconds. We have replaced the blower motor resistor and wonder what else we should do

This could be the cause of the problem. No idea where it is located on your Escape but most are on the passenger side firewall and should have a few vacuum lines connected to it with one running through the firewall into the vehicle interior.

2 Likes

Suggest to clarify symptom. Does the hvac blower motor continue to spin (make noise under dash), but no air coming out of vents? Or does the blower motor stop spinning too? From what I see the various doors that direct the hvac airflow are vacuum-motor controlled, so may not work temporarily when accelerator to floor; but I don’t see any reference to low-vacuum turning off blower motor. However the drivetrain computer could turn off A/C compressor when pedal is floored though. Maybe that’s what’s happening. If the latter, that’s not vacuum related.

I’m with @ok4450 on this

Guessing blower doesn’t really quit, but all the air comes out defrost vents.

1 Like

Correct. I can still hear the blower motor going and mostly it will not come back through the regular vents until I let off the gas. I don’t even have to be accelerating, it just seems that sometimes with a slight pull on the engine, the blower quits working. I haven’t checked to see if it comes out the defrost vents.

There are small motors that open and close the hvac system doors to get the air to flow where it is supposed to. These motors aren’t electric; instead they use the engine’s vacuum to produce the force need. Saves space and expense. When you step on accel pedal the engine vacuum is less. That’s normal. I expect this car is designed to store unneeded vacuum (at the time) for later use, so the doors should work correctly even when there’s less vacuum from the engine b/c accel pedal is depressed. Likely some problem with the vacuum storage function. Seems like a pretty good chance it’s the one-way check valve mentioned above.

Since vacuum means an absence of air, might be confusing, how can it be stored? But it can.
On my VW Rabbit there was a mysterious-looking plastic gadget in the engine compartment that looked like three tennis balls glued together. I believe it was used to store engine vacuum.

Thank you! I will pass this info on to my husband