Hi folks, bit of a long description so I’ll keep it to bullet points:
• 2005 Dodge SX2.0 (Canadian car; Neon in the States, I believe), 196,500 kms, auto transmission, not SRT
• Original owner, mostly city driving, accident free, lightly driven the last few years as our “second” car
• Well maintained, all scheduled oil changes, etc.
• 2 months ago started making a grinding, metal-on-metal sound, seems to come from engine
• Noise is heard only after first start of the day and when accelerating; the noise almost disappears on idling and stops completely after 10-15 minutes of driving. Does not appear again that day, even if car sits for a few hours between outings
• Wasn’t too bad at first but has gotten progressively louder and more noticeable
• More pronounced when driving over rough spots or bumps
• Vehicle performance is not affected: no stammering or stalling, no problems with acceleration, braking, transmission
• All fluid levels are good. Air filter and spark plugs / wires changed recently
• In Spring 2016 (30,000 kms ago), front sway bar bushings replaced, upper and lower torque mounts replaced, also timing belt, water pump, thermostat
• No codes appear on scan tool
We’re ready to take it to a shop for diagnosis and would appreciate any suggestions or pointers that may help narrow down the possibilities. The most curious thing to us is that the noise stops completely when the car is warmed up, after 10-15 minutes driving.
Thank you from Canada!