2005 Dodge Grand Caravan EVAP System code

My in-laws 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with 280,000 miles on it. It’s well used, I know that. But it still is running fairly well and they recently got a newer van and don’t have a need for this one anymore. They offered it to give it to me, so over the weekend I was looking it over and test driving it and such. Now I don’t know a lot about cars. I’m handy enough to do general repairs, do my own brakes, oil changes, etc.
The van had a check engine light, so I plugged in my OBD reader and I’ I pulled 3 codes, P0440, P0456, P0457.

After doing a little research, it seemed like the common fix (and easiest to try) was just getting a new gas cap. So I replaced that and two codes cleared but I am still pulling P0457.
This is where I need help. I don’t know what the next step would be. I would like to try to do as much as I can by myself. Do I need a Smoke test? One source I looked up, said that the most common fix is replacing the Leak Detection Pump. I don’t know much about the EVAP system, so I don’t really know what feasible to do on my own and what’s not.

PS. The reason I want to clear the code is because if I take it, I need it to pass an emissions test, or I can get a waiver but I have to prove that I have spent at least $300 in attempts to fix the problem.

We have no idea what your abilities are either… soo no advice there.

Not sure what a leak pump costs for this van, I see a $25 one and a $110 pump. I don’t usually buy super cheap parts so I don’t recommend the $25 pump.

Just looking at the parts, 2 hoses and one connector seems fairly simple to replace. I saw a YouTube video that shows its position under he car near the stabilizer bar bushing on the driver’s side. You need to own jackstands to support the van while you are under there replacing it.

1 Like

You don’t say how much time you have before the inspection . You can just replace parts at will or you can say that you will have a shop look at this vehicle before you accept and change the title . If it is going to be to expensive your inlaws can just sell it as is .

On my 2004 Mopar minivan I has a persistant large evap leak I couldn;t find for 4 years. Fortunatly in my state you can have one system not ready to read and pass inspection and that one is the last to be ready. I took it to my mechanic and he found a crack in the metal plate that holds the fuel lines where they go into the plastic gas tank. He said he has seen many of these and he thinks the weight of the pump keeps flexing the plate until it cracks.