2005 corolla won't start after driven

I own a 2005 corolla. Has 112k on it. Having issue with car not starting after driven to store and parked. Happened 4 times. Let car sit and it starts. Puzzled to what issue can be

What, exactly, happens when you turn the key? Nothing? Iā€™d check the battery connections, the battery, and if jiggling the shifter or putting it in N (neutral) affects it. If not, Iā€™d guess it might be the starter solenoid contacts. Is it the original starter? The contact wear out after 10 years/100k miles or so.

Something seems to have become heat sensitive. The temperature under the hood rises when the engine is stopped after having been driven. The internal temperature of the engine is significantly higher than the outside temperature, and when the cooling fan shuts off, the air stops passing by carrying heat away, and the coolant stops flowing carrying heat away. Components containing coils, which are wire insulated with a varnish like material can begin e to short as the coil wire insulation begins to break down due to the thermal expansion and contraction of the wire underneath it.

There is a starter relay under the hood in the relay box that enables the Bendix assembly solenoid, which once it slides its mechanicals forward closes contacts that enable the starter motor windings, allowing them to be connected directly to the battery.

If you hear clicking, but no turning crankshaft, chances are that the motorā€™s windings are shorting due to insulation breakdown and after its circuits are enabled it can no longer turn the crankshaft. If thereā€™s no sound whatsoever, the Bendix assembly isnā€™t operating at all and chances are that itā€™s either the solenoid windings that have failed or the starter relay.

To my mind, the elevation of the temperature after shutting the engine down is a clear clue here. Those are my guesses and my reasoning. Post back when you know more.

1 Like

ā€œā€¦To my mind, the elevation of the temperature after shutting the engine down is a clear clue here. Those are my guesses and my reasoningā€¦ā€

So, what is your clue? All cars encounter the same once the engine is turned off (but, thatā€™s why the radiator fan may continue to run for a few more minutes after the engine is shut off). There is not nearly enough information in the original post to come to ANY conclusion.

Um, you didnā€™t consider that a possible clue?
So, Kurt, whatā€™s your guess? And your reasoning?

For the record, I owned a 2005 Corolla. I donā€™t recall my fan running after the engine was turned off. Lots of cars donā€™t.

1 Like

I prefer not to just guess with that little information given, butā€¦ it could the fuel system, i.e. check valve, could be the solenoid, could be the starter, could be a key problem, could be an engine problem, could beā€¦

A clue for us would be if the poster tells us what does happen when the key is turned to start the engine. SiIence, does it make click click click, how long does he have to wait, does it take multiply tries to start the engine, how long between triesā€¦

So when the car is in park. I turn the ignition key to start car complete silience. Repeat thos several times same result. Let the car sit for a few hrs like 2hrs or more and it starts right up.

Complete silence no click click cluck

do the instrument lights come on when you attempt to start it?

Yes all lights on in dash

These are the symptoms of worn starter solenoid contacts. Google ā€˜Toyota starter solenoid contactsā€™ for more info.

But first makes sure your battery connections are clean and tight, and the battery is in good shape.

1 Like

With respect to Texases, I cannot agree. If the starter solenoid contacts are fried youā€™ll still hear the clicking of the Bendix assembly operating, but the motor will never turn. Total silence suggests that the Bendix assembly isnā€™t operating at all, meaning the starter solenoid itself is failing. That means a new starter assembly is necessary.

To test this, youā€™ll want to see if when you turn the key to ā€œstartā€ you have 12VDC at the solenoid. If you do, the solenoid is bad. In you donā€™t go back after the starter relay. I believe itā€™s under the hood in the relay box, but Iā€™m not certain. A dealerā€™s parts guy can look up its location for you.

TSMB - this is exactly what happened to my '96 Toyo. Itā€™s a common failure around 100k miles. The ā€˜clickā€™ is very faint.

Mine wasnā€™t, but I understand.

Two ways to test quickly for starter/solenoid problems:

One: When the engine does not want to start, take a hammer and give the starter a few taps. Many times it will loosen any corroded parts and reengage the solenoid/starter to its ā€œnormalā€ condition. It would be better to do this with two people. One turning the key and another tapping the starter. This way you are doing it while the solenoid attempts to engage the starter. If it starts you know there is a problem with the starter or solenoid. Likely the solenoid only.

Two: Letā€™s hotwire the car. Take a heavy 8 or 10 gauge wire. Connect one end to the positive terminal on the battery and tap the other end against the smaller/thinner wire connection at the end of the solenoid. If it starts the problem is NOT with the starter or solenoid, but something else within the electric system, i.e. ignition switch.

As always, donā€™t wear loose clothing and keep your hair away from moving belts.

My 99 Camry starter died at exactly 100k miles. Just put the 3rd battery in it. Lights on but no start.

The mechanic friend looked at the starter and it was a wire that connects the solenoid was corroded. They cleaned it where the mail and female connections occur. They believe that was the issue. Starter is fairly new and was tested . We will see.

Thanks for all the input from my car friends. It helped alot

Fantastic. Let us know how you make out. We do care.

Good to hear. With a new(er) starter you should be in good shape for quite a while.