2005 Chrysler T&C EGR problem

I have recieved this info from the dealer.

This is what it says on the service reciept:

“Check engine light on, has DTC: P0405 EGR position sensor low. Diagnosed as bad EGR sensor”

But the estimate says “replace EGR valve”.

Are the sensor and the valve itself the same thing? The EGR valve is on the block…where is the sensor

TIA

No they are not the same thing. How did they determine it was the valve or the sensor? The computer will just tell them the sensor is sending a signal that there is a problem. The problem could be the sensor, the valve or the wiring to the sensor, or even the computer.

Most likely someone just pushed the wrong button, but it does show that the dealer is a little lax. Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

You may be able to fix this trouble by cleaning the EGR valve. They can get carbon build-up inside them and cause trouble.

After doing some more research, I have now learned that the P0405 is a bad EGR sensor, but on this van the sensor built into the valve itself thus the valve has to be replaced.

A DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) never means that a sensor, or other part, is bad. It’s only “could be”. Not “is”. The engine computer makes a voltage comparison with the voltage from the sensor CIRCUIT (or, other part), and compares that voltage to its expected voltage. If there is too much difference, it turns on the “check engine light” and sets a DTC in its memory.
A good mechanic will test the electrical circuit of the sensor (or, other component) to determine where the problem lies. The other way of “Changing parts based on symptoms” is wrong, and very expensive; but, it does generate quick, easy, profit.
Sometimes, sometimes, the problem is with the sensor (or, other part). If you want to gamble by changing the sensor (or, part), that’s your (expensive) choice. You’ll always read where someone changed a sensor (or, part) and got LUCKY. Well, good for them. I would rather test the circuit and KNOW!