2005 Chevy Trailblazer

For the past year I have noticed a buring smell coming from my 2005 Trailblazer. Last week I experienced what felt like the back wheel locking up and the smell returned. The dealership said they could not find anything in diagnostics. They did claim however that sometimes when the exhaust is splashed with water, that smell may occur. Last week it was raining when I experienced it this time.

This morning the smell, similar to burning rubber, returned but stronger and it was not raining. I have not called the dealership yet and am looking for additional information before I do.

It is not in 4WD and this morning I drove 20 miles with little stop and go traffic. If I remember correctly, I also experienced this with my 1996 Chevy Astro Van and they could never find the problem.

Any clues to this problem with the Trailblazer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brakes hanging up create alot of heat. Here’s what I do when I suspect a brake problem like that. When safe to do so, pull over and immediately check the wheels in question. Careful, because they may be very hot. Approach each wheel with your hand and feel for heat. You may be able to touch the metal wheel to feel how hot it is but go towards it slowly until you know it’s safe to touch. Repeat with the other wheel on that axle and compare them, is one significantly hotter than the other? Your nose is also very helpful as you can smell the fumes and heat being emitted by the excessively hot components.