2005-7 Ford Focus $525.42 air filter

I don’t own one of these, but this may be of interest to anyone who does. There is now an alternative to that $525.42 air filter.

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html

Wow thats nuts ! I had no idea the focus had this issue “”

I had never heard of this either. Maybe that’s a good indication of how often most people do change their filter.

That is for the housing not the filter

The filter element is sealed into the housing in the OEM version, if I’m understaning this correctly. Since you can’t change the filter element, that technically makes the whole assembly “the air filter,” albeit a really complex and expensive one.

Yep, it’s all in one, housing+filter, with a very extended exchange interval.

why would someone make something like that for a vehicle? Money hungry people I swear make no sense.

Yes, but the housing is sealed so you can’t replace the filter. Only the government could make a rule to necesitate something this stupid!

Dorman is a well known name. Since it has a Dorman part number, it is certainly available from other sources. Not to knock Rockauto, but if I want one tonight, I’m not going “mail order”.

MG - you’d think so, but I haven’t found one other than Dorman.

This was not some government regulation, this was all Ford’s engineering department thinking this was a splendid idea. On my 2006 vehicle, you can swap the air filter in about 30 seconds with no tools required.

This was not some government regulation, this was all Ford’s engineering department thinking this was a splendid idea. On my 2006 vehicle (not a Ford), you can swap the air filter in about 30 seconds with no tools required.

Oblivion, please read the article. Ford wanted to meet California’s regs for a PZEV, which requires an air intake system that needs no maintenance, which some Gov’t bureaucrat dictated means a permanent air filter. So, Ford complied with a system where the filter cannot be removed from the air intake. That way, a dirty air filter is considered a failed device, not a maintenance issue, and a $525.42 fix.

if you came to me for it you would have to wait about 2 -3 days local wharehouse is out of stock and i’m going to charge you about $180.00 so you do the math

also itis not for pzev cars