2005 4runner worth it?

+1
But, the OP noted that the rear bumper needs to be replaced. I frequently see an incredible number of 4Runners from that era with the rear bumper badly eaten away by rust, and I always wonder…
If the bumper looks like that, what does the frame look like?

2 Likes

My son is a big Toyota fan. Had a 4Runner, wrecked, got a used Tacoma with 220,000. Had a mechanic he trusted go through it. Couldn’t find anything. When he went to negotiate, found it had been in a wreck. Mechanic said he would still buy. Been driving for 3 yrs. only problem has been a/c. With the V6, engine is almost bulletproof. 210,000 to 220,000 would not scare him off. If it truly needs items you stated, deduct that cost from asking price. If he doesn’t agree, let it pass.

The OP posted 8 days ago he was going to pass on this vehicle.

@VOLVO-V70 @JimFreeman @VDCdriver @Triedaq @weekend-warrior @jtsanders

Hey guys, so I passed on the 4runner, like I said a while back. I’m still on the hunt, but now I’ve got lots of time to wait for a good deal. My wife and I are using 1 car (15’ Impreza) for now and it has been enough for us. I appreciate all of the perspectives, tips, and advice for that particular vehicle, and I’ve gotten a better grasp on what to do when looking for another vehicle. Since my last post, I’ve already went to look at another car and passed on it lol

2 Likes

I think that you made the right decision in passing on the 4Runner and were given good advice.

The only thing I will add is that in your search for a car use a lot of patience. Sometimes the “get it now” urge is strong and that needs to be suppressed.

Over the years I have bought 3 vehicles off of Craigslist and all 3 have been excellent vehicles at very fair prices. I also spent on average about 3 months on each one while searching for the right vehicle @ the right price.

1 Like