2004 Tundra V8 Accesory Belt Interval

Hi All - I have a 2004 Toyota Tundra double cab, V8. I had the accesory belt / serp belt changed in Nov 2007 at 41.6k miles. In May 2008, 46.8k miles, the water pump went and was replaced under warranty along with the timing belt. Fast forward to last week, 59.5k miles, accessory belt was deemed in need of change by the dealer and I had it done. Realized this history when I looked back over all my paperwork. I have a couple questions:

1. Is the accessory belt the same as the timing belt?

2. Should I be replacing belts this often?

Thanks very much

The Timing Belt And The Serpentine (Or Accessory) Belt Are Not The Same Part.

You need to look in the car’s Owners Manual. You will find in it (or with it) a complete maintenance schedule that includes belt change intervals.

While you’re at it take some time and read the manual.

CSA

The timing belt NOT a Serpentine belt. The timing belt interval change for this vehicle is every 105k miles. Not sure of the time interval…something like 6-7 years.

Not sure why the you’re replacing the belts this often. My 4-runner with the 4.0-V6 and 140k miles on it…I’ve only replaced the Serpentine belt ONCE. The V6 has a timing chain so I don’t have to worry about that for a few another 150k miles.

Toyota recommends timing belt every 90K miles and/or 7 years whichever comes first. I don’t know why you’d change the timing belt at 42K miles and 3 years? I don’t know why you had a water pump failure at 47K miles that is very unusual in this motor. Most water pumps last far longer and are replaced with the timing belt as a precaution since they may fail before a second timing belt is needed at 180K and 14 years.

My quess is if you had the original timing belt the water pump would have been OK. Somehow in changing the timing belt they messed up the water pump. In the same way a serpentine belt should last 5 years and 90K miles if installed properly. This dealer is recommending excessive service and botching the jobs bringing you back in for more repairs.

Question 1: The serpentine belt is a different belt and drives the AC, power steering, and alternator. It can be changed without all the engine work required to change the timing belt.

Question 2: It seems you are replacing the belts far too often.

In the future review your service records, service history, and owner’s manual maintenance section BEFORE you take the car in for service. It seems you have a dealer who is recommending far too much service and perhaps botching the work as well.

I’d not take the car back to this service provider in the future.

The water pump failed and was replaced under warranty. This dealer did the owner a favor in changing it at 43k as it was likely removed to access the water pump. It a simple part failure(happens to ALL makes).

I think you missed the boat. As far as the serpentine belt being changed so much no idea why so often. My only guess is it may not be properly aligned from factory and during the changes. Who knows.

Also, Should Any Coolant Come In Contact With The T-Belt, It Needs To Be Replaced.
CSA

Yep, that boat sailed without me.

Hi All - thanks for the replies, I appreciate the information. To clarify: when the water pump went, it was leaking coolant, so they recommended changing the timing belt.
For the accessory belt, I did consult the manual which states to inspect it; it does not state that it needs to be replaced at xx miles or xx time intervals.
Sounds like the dealer is either doing excess work or shoddy work resuting in need to do it over sooner than usual.

If the dealer charged much more than parts for timing belt change they are double padding the bill. The majority if not all of timing belt labor is inclusive with a water pump change.

when the water pump was changed, I was only charged for the timing belt part. All other parts and labor were covered under warranty