2004 Toyota Sienna LE

Just purchased a used 2004 Toyota Sienna LE from a dealership. Noticed some differences from the 1999 Toyota Sienna LE that I traded in.

1. Vehicle will not shift out of park unless you turn the headlights on.
  2. Cruise control will not work if the headlights are on.
  3. If the headlights are on, the brake lights are also on with or without depressing the brake pedal.

Is this normal for this model year or should I get it checked out?

Not normal for ANY car. Get it checked out. Whoever checks it out should have access to the factory wiring diagrams

+1 to db’s comment.

#3 on your list is a definite safety hazard. Having the brakelights on whenever the headlights are on leaves the person behind you unable to tell when you actually DO apply the brakes. I suggest you consider this a safety hazard and do not procrastinate on getting it fixed. Note that it could be something as simple as a blown fuse or an incorrect or incorrectly seated bulb. Don’t delay.

I own a 2004 LE and it does not do ANY of those things. You have a serious electrical issue!!!

As an aside, I’m shocked a dealer would or could sell you a vehicle with these symptoms. Don’t they do a safety check on used vehicles where you reside?

Mike

I would immediately return to the dealership (is it a Toyota dealer) and request that they repair the obvious safety hazards on the car they just sold you. I’d also tell them to take their time as you will be driving the free loaner they provide.

BTW, I think all three problems are related.