2004 Toyota Corolla - Needs a new transmission - So soon?

Has only 160000km and needs a new automatic transmission.

160,000km is roughly 99,400 miles. Transmission failure at that point isn’t unknown but it’s more common when there hasn’t been regular maintenance in the form of changing the fluid. My 2009 is going strong at 126,000 miles/203,000km, at least in part because I’ve taken care of it. In normal circumstances I’d suggest replacing your Corolla but it might be worthwhile to look into a used transmission.

There is not a question here and this most likely came fron the Car Complaints site . A serious reply is not worth anyones time until this person actually asks for help.

3 Likes

What symptoms are you seeing that make you think you need a new transmission?

Get at least a 2nd opinion from an independent mechanic.

For what it’s worth…my car is a 2009, and apparently it needed a new transmission around 2015. I’m the 2nd owner, so before I bought it. But it was one of the reasons I bought the car. :grinning:

+1
I have never had to repair, rebuild, or replace a transmission, but I change the fluid every 30k miles. By contrast, I knew a few people who have had trans failure somewhere between 100k and 130k miles, and none of them had ever had their trans serviced.

100k miles is a little early for trans failure, but it’s 17 years old. So, what’re ya gonna do?

I have seen transmissions go well beyond 100k miles and never have any service done to them. I’m not saying you shouldn’t change the fluid regularly. Obviously, you should. But 100k miles is a little early…although I have seen them fail sooner.

Even with fluid changes, clutches wear out. If you’ve never had to replace a transmission, keep driving the car and at some point you will. But, changing the fluid and the filter is the best (the only) thing you can do to try and make them last.

Transmission failure at 100k miles isn’t that unusual. Suggest however if there’s any doubt to do a proper transmission maintenance service, meaning drain the old fluid out and put new in, and replace the transmission filter if possible. If that’s done by removing the pan you can inspect for any unusual metal filings at the bottom of the pan, broken snap rings, etc, which could provide clues to what’s going on. That could bring it back from the dead, at least for a while. Internal transmission seals can get hard w/time and miles and develop leaks, and new fluid contains new seal conditioning chemicals.