2004 Mazda 3 A/C Compressor

I recently had my wifes 2004 Mazda 3 (2.0 L I4) with 80k miles at the local service center. One of the issues I asked them to look at was a noise that would appear when the A/C was turned on. They inspected and said that it was likely that the bearing were starting to go, and that they might last 5 days or 5 months. The bigger issue is that they have said that the compressor and related items to it are not available on the aftermarket - they are only available through the dealer. The final cost, installed, was almost $1,700. Is this correct?? Is there no after market compressor for this version of the car??

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

If you went to the dealer, which is what I understood, they will tell you that. Take the car to an independent mechanic or even better to an independent A/C shop.

This was an independent shop I have used for a number of years. Since we are going ito winter here this is not a pressing matter. I should give me time to explore options. I was just hoping to confirm what this shop told me before I start taking it around to a lot of shops. If what they said was correct, there would be minimal need to get addtional opinions.

Thanks

I would shop around some more; my local A/C shop tells me such a unit rebuilt aftermarket should be available. Also, sometimes the clutch bearing goes and can be replaced without replacing the whole comressor.

I feel your shop is not trying hard enough.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding a rebuilt compressor. I had not thought of that. I will be touching base with some local A/C shops in the coming weeks.