2004 Intrepid Revs up when starting after temp change

My 2004 Intrepid with 100,100 miles runs and starts fine until a temperature change occurs. When that happens, and first starting, the engine will rev up and the check engine light will come. I don’t drive it for awhile and then it starts and runs fine, but the check engine light is still on. I’ve changed various sensors, and the throttle body assembly. Still not fixed. What could be causing this? It has a 2.7 engine.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thanks Joseph for getting back. I’ll check with the auto parts store and have them check it. Everytime I go to the service guys, its a minimum of $60 to read the codes.
It may be a day or two before I get back. Any thoughts on why temperature would cause the engine to rev up on starting, and then after setting awhile it starts fine, but with the CEL on?

On Chrysler vehicles, you can also do the “key dance” to retrieve the trouble codes. This won’t give you as much info as a scan tool, but will give you the stored codes.

With the engine off, turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on in rapid sequence. (do not start the car) The check engine light will blink the stored codes, or on some vehicles, the codes may be displayed on the odometer. Count the blinks. The codes will be in the format of short blinks to indicate a number, then a slight pause, more short blinks to indicate the next digit(s), and a longer pause between separate codes if there are more than one stored. I think a 5-5 means that it’s done displaying codes. You may have to do this a few times to make sure you’ve counted everything right, but it will not clear the codes from the system, only display them.

So for basic codes, you don’t even need to go to Autozone or wherever.