2004 honda v6 power steering

Yesterday after my wife drove to work I noticed a small puddle where my 2004 Honda Accord (V6) was parked. From a distance I thought it was antifreeze but it is definitely oil. When she returned I noticed oil around and below the power steering hoses and the reservoir was below the full line. There is no sign of any earlier leak (on the garage floor). I did an internet search and found that 600,000 Accords with V6 engines were recalled due power steering hoses, when I checked my VIN on a Honda website my car is NOT listed. Is there any chance that not all VIN number are not listed? Is there any chance some Accords were not listed but Honda suspected they could have a problem? I am getting ready to take the car to a Honda dealership and (probably) arm wrestle about covering this repair (the car only has 70,000 miles). Any suggestions of how to get Honda to pick up the cost of this will be appreciated. I am sure their argument will be the car is 12 years old however I have owned two other Honda cars over 15 years and never had this problem, actually I have never had this problem with any car with a lot more miles on it.

Any assistance will be helpful. Thanks.

OK…bear in mind that it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the power steering hoses just wore out. They are not that expensive to replace and I don’t think Honda should foot the bill for a maintenance item. If you can get them too then more power to you. I had to replace the power steering and power brake hoses on my 2005 Dodge Dakota a couple of years ago with around 80K on the clock. I think you got very good service from those 12 year old hoses.

Unless your car is actually one of those that was recalled for the power steering hose defect, I think that you have zero chance of getting Honda to cover the cost of repairs. Yes, it is entirely possible that your car has the same defect as the ones that are included in the recall, but as the old saying tells us, The Devil is in the details, and if the details of that recall omit your VIN, then you will be out of luck–unfortunately.

Yes, Hondas are usually very reliable, very durable vehicles, but after 12 years, virtually anything can break or malfunction on any make of vehicle.

Agree; very little chance of getting an item covered by warranty on an 11 year old car. If their was a recall on this hose, that’s different.

There’s no reason that Honda should foot the bill for this and there’s no reason to take an aging car to the dealer for repair.

The car is 12 years old. Things wear out and things break. Your local parts store will have dozens of power steering hoses in stock for many many different cars. Because they wear out and break. It’s just a routine repair.

Any competent local repair shop can fix this for a couple hundred bucks.

“there’s no reason to take an aging car to the dealer for repair.”

+1
However, the OP should first give his VIN to the service staff at the dealership and ask, “Are there any open recalls on this car?”. If–as the OP suspects–there is no recall in regard to his car’s PS system, then he should take the car to any skilled mechanic.

(Note: “Skilled” does not normally include the staff of…Sears, Pep Boys, Midas, Meineke, Monro, AAMCO, or the local tire store.)

Just put the VIN in here:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

The car is 11 years old. Age is the problem with rubber, not mileage. I think you should save time and money and take it to an independent garage for repair if you use one routinely. The cost will likely be lower than at the dealership.

No harm asking for Honda to do it under warranty, as a courtesy to a loyal customer. They might bite. But I doubt they will. But like I say, no harm asking. Be sure to bring the paperwork you have about the recall notice for other VINS. And make sure they check that the recall hasn’t been modified and now includes your car’s VIN. Or that a new recall hasn’t been posted. It can happen.

That all said, I expect what you’ll wind up doing is taking it to an inde shop – far better than a dealer for this sort of generic job – and get the hose replaced. Those hoses are a pretty common failure items, and replacement hoses aren’t overly expensive. It’s a good idea not to wait as running the fluid low can damage the pump, and replacing the pump is a considerable expense. Make sure they follow Honda’s procedure to bleed the fluid of air after replacing the hose.

If during parking maneuvers the driver commonly turns the steering wheel all the way to the steering stop, that can stress the hose and result in this symptom. Avoiding hitting the steering stops during parking can lengthen the hose life. Then again, its only a rubber hose we’re talking about.

Unlikely, but it’s possible the hose is actually ok, and a hose connection has just twisted loose. The pump itself can leak too.

+2 to ase’s comments. And to those who confirmed his recommendations.
And I think George has given you good advice.

Realize that the seals that keep the PS fluid in the system are rubber, and rubber not only wears but also shrinks over time. Some last forever, but some begin to leak.

However, allow me to add that whoever you bring it to, you should have them show you the leak rather than just tell you where it’s coming from. Hopefully it’ll just be a hose or connection and not the rack. Rack replacement is expensive.

Sincere best. Post back with the results. We do care.