2004 Ford F-150 - New tank - same problem

I had a fuel pump go out and when I hit the tank it started so I bought a cheap one from Amazon and a month later is doing the same thing it will start if I hit the fuel tank

Just a thought…
Try checking the electrical connection. when you hit the fuel tank you are vibrating mostly the outer part of the tank. the connector on top might be moving just enough to make a good contact. also check wires for any cuts or chaffing. or a loose or corroded ground.

If not a problematic electrical connection, pretty good chance the cheapo replacement fuel pump is faulty. It’s admittedly unusual it worked for a month. But such a thing can happen. An auto-electric specialty shop might be able to bench-test the replacement pump, if you want to prove it is bad before purchasing & installing a second replacement pump. Suggest to surf over to Rock Auto & see what their fuel pump selection is for your truck, maybe they have an oem-branded version.

All I am going to say is I have had to go behind many DIYers and shops (even the comp I retired from) that have used cheap (junk) fuel pumps that failed with in a short time (sometimes failed out of the box or in a day or 2)… Stay away from AutoZone and Airtex and overall cheap fuel pumps…

Now you have to recheck everything to figure out if you have other electrical problems as mentioned in the prior post or if you installed a cheap fuel pump that is failing…

Sorry you are having to deal with this and Welcome to the forum…

1 Like