2004 buick park ave. ultra

DO I HAVE TO USE ONLY PREMIUM GAS IN THIS CAR OR CAN I SAFELY USE REGULAR

Does your manual say premium is required or just recommended?

This is a used car we are thinking about buying and I can’t get a straight answer from the dealer. I don’t have access to the owner’s manual but I did some internet research and I’m still not sure. We won’t buy the car unless I am positve using regular gas is ok.

This car uses the supercharged 3.8L engine. You should use premium. The extra 45 HP comes at a price.

Even though it’s on a dealer’s lot, there should be a user’s manual in the glove box. Pull it out and look it up. There may also be a reminder on the gas gauge and on or near the fuel cap.

The dealers often take the manuals out of the cars to keep them from getting stolen. I’ll bet lunch that he has the manual. Ask to see it.

It’ll cost you and extra $180 for every 10,000 miles if you use premium instead of regular. If that’s a deal killer, move on. You can find the same car with the regular 3.8L. It won’t be as quick, but it’s no slouch, either. I have a Regal with the same engine (not supercharged) and it has a lot of power where most people use it.

Of course the Regal is probably 400 lbs lighter than the PA Ultra. It’s a whole nuther ilk of automobile.

Note that the supercharger is supposed to have ITS oil changed every 50K miles or so. It’s not hard, but I’d be willing to bet it’s never been done. Many of them die at 130K because it’s never been done. The oil smells like cat excrement, and is only available from the dealer as far as I know.

You will love the car, but if you can’t afford the the extra $20 a month for premium fuel, you are too poor to own it. It’s sort of a "you can pay me now or you can pay me (the mechanic) later thing. The supercharger should be nearly silent in its operation. If not, run.

Many used cars don’t have manuals in them. The former owners take them into their houses where thet pretend that they will read them next week or next month. Then they get tossed out with the old magazines never to be seen again. SOME manuals are avail as PDFs on line. Search it out. Used ones are available on ebay.

Brand New Manuals Are Available From Helm Inc. , Online.
CSA

“Of course the Regal is probably 400 lbs lighter than the PA Ultra.”

Yet the gas mileage with the supercharged engine is identical. I assume that’s what you meant when you quoted the weight difference.