2004 Buick LeSabre - Won't start

Car won’t start sometimes

Ok, good to know. What is your question?

1 Like

My buick le sabre 2004 won’t start sometimes. I want to know WHO can fix it.I did take it to a mechanic ,but he can’t even diagnosed what’s wrong (!?)

In a message dated 12/7/2019 7:46:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Well, click the mechanics files at the top of this web page. There may be a listing for your area. Besides that, use google or yelp or yp.com to find a highly rated local independent shop.

Also, make notes as to exactly when it won’t start. Every detail, dash lights, temperature, how much gas in the tank, everything. If you just go to a shop and say “won’t start sometimes” you are not going to get it fixed. Good Luck

Thank you very much for you response.I will try YELP!

In a message dated 12/8/2019 3:56:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

1 Like

That statement can have two meanings.

1. You turn the key to start, and nothing happens.

2. You turn the key to start, the engine cranks over but the engine doesn’t fire.

Tester

3 Likes

Hello:

When I turn the key to start the car,nothing happens and all lights go off.

In a message dated 12/8/2019 11:29:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

sounds like a bad starter

did you try to jump-start it?

I can’t do that every time the car won’t start.Means every 2 or 3 days.

In a message dated 12/8/2019 2:19:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

First step is to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. If you can twist the connectors and they turn, that’s a least part of the problem. Once you’ve verified that’s ok, post back.

There could be a problem with the connection to the battery. Though some things are also purposely cut off from power when in the START mode. If there isn’t a problem with the connection to the battery then check out the safety circuit for the starter. See if the engine will start with the shifter in the neutral position. If that works then the safety circuit is causing the problem.

you should try it at least once. If the engine starts jump-starting it you can assume that you need a new battery

Thanks

In a message dated 12/8/2019 7:57:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Battery is new. As is the starter.

In a message dated 12/8/2019 8:04:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Battery is new and terminals were cleaned!

In a message dated 12/8/2019 7:32:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

For a no-crank problem, and the battery has been tested and known to be good and fully charged, the next step is a voltage test. There’s two connections at the starter motor. A big thick cable, and a thinner cable. Both should measure at least 10.5 volts with the key in “start”. In both tests, probe between terminal and starter case. What does your shop-tech measure?

If you don’t want to bother with voltage measurements, or you just feel lucky, try jiggling the automatic transmission shift lever while you try to start it. Compare starting in P vs N also.

The best way to find a good shop is to ask folks you know who they use. From that list choose a shop that has experience working on Buicks.

Why is that a requirement . Most good shops can work on anything and seeing as how this is a GM product it should not be that complicated.

Where is the list?

In a message dated 12/8/2019 9:19:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

What list are you asking about?