2004 Buick LeSabre - Timing chain question

when to replace timing chain in 2004 lasabre

Your timing chain on your vehicle normally should last the life of your engine.
A timing chain is not like a timing belt that needs to be changed at regular intervals.
some engines have nylon timing chain guides that wear and will cause a slop in your chain. but I do not think your engine has them. A timing chain can stretch over time on a high mileage vehicle. The link below will give you some symptoms of a stretched chain.

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Timing Chain | YourMechanic Advice

just some more info…

When does the timing chain need to be replaced? (testingautos.com)

3 Likes

On my 3800s I had timing chain issues in the 250k to 350k mileage, but mostly due to the plastic gear material.

The 1st gen 3800’s would jump timing around 100K-120K miles due to the chain stretching and crappy nylon coated camshaft timing gear… They have since made a design change and they last much longer… If you are worried about it, take it an old school mechanic/engine builder and have them check for slack, he will know what to feel for… Little harder to do with tensioners against the chains now taking up the slack…

My 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo had the 3800. I was anal about the oil changes so no problems with the T chain. My model years had problems with the upper intake manifold leaking so at some point I replaced it with the newer designed one.

Sold it with 220,000 miles, engine running great! (Now drive a 2017 Chevy Volt!)

I had a 1998 Regal LS with the 3.8L and had no problems with the timing chain. We sold it with about 180,000 miles. Didn’t use oil either.

Don’t remember the mileage but somewhere around 250k, car just stalled at a stop light Friday night no warning. Place it was towed to said engine was shot. Towed it home 50 miles Saturday morning and paid $120 or so for the timing kit and gaskets. Had it going again by Sunday afternoon. Hardest part was getting the balancer off with no engine resistance. I think I finally used a block of wood jammed on the crankshaft after trying everything else. Pretty critical to pack the oil pump with Vaseline that was only mentioned in the factory manual.

1 Like

GM redesigned the timing chain late 80’s early 90’s, after putting an all steel cam gear on it the chains lasted way longer… Mine was a 1987 and a friends was a 1986 3.8L…
Very strong engines for there size…

My 86 still had the plastisol on the gears that gave way.

Then you were very lucky as they were known for jumping time and bending valves, mine jumped but didn’t bend any valves, I was very surprised back then… lol

50 year old 200k+ mile Ford truck still has original timing chain – knock on wood … lol … chain stretch damaging cogs is pretty common problem bicyclists have to deal with, and can often be difficult to find the parts needed to solve it. I think bicycles shops like it when customer comes in with this problem b/c a good opportunity to tell the customer how difficult & expensive the fix will be, gives an incentive to buy a new bicycle. Usually however just need a new chain and near rear cogs or freewheel. Last time it happened to me I installed a new chain and a used freewheel, been working great.