2004 Buick Le Sabre automatic and transmission oil

Driving my car over the week-end and experienced a lot of hesitation when I stepped on the gas. The car seemed to delay in kicking in to the next gear.
I stopped and checked my transmission oil and realized I didn’t have much transmission fluid, practically none. So, I added a quart.
My question is what should I do now. I know it probably doesn’t have enough but I don’t know how much to put in. Or should I just have it changed?
Thanks for your help! And I need it fast!

In the short term–like immediately–I would suggest that you check the dipstick again.
If there is no fluid showing on the dipstick, you need to add more fluid before driving again.

Make sure that you use the correct form of Dexron for your model year. Specification info can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

Add the fluid a little bit at a time, and then check the dipstick again & again (using the procedure described in the Owner’s Manual) to make sure that you don’t overfill it.

As to whether you need to have the fluid changed, that can be answered with a couple of questions:

Has it been more than 3 yrs or 30k miles since the fluid and filter were changed?
Is the fluid black or brown, or does it have a burnt smell?

If the answer to either of those questions is “yes”, then you need a fluid and filter change.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! God bless!

VDCdriver,

It has been more than three years! I will get it changed. Thanks, again!

@ElizabethF

Are you checking the fluid with the engine at operating temperature and running (Be extremely careful working with a running engine/hot engine!)? Hopefully you have checked the fluid correctly as outlined by the car’s manufacturer. As pointed out, you’ll need to follow the procedures in the Owner’s Manual.

Cars don’t ordinarily consume transmission fluid (oil) the way they use up engine oil. The fact that you got some hesitation (could be transmission related, maybe not) and the fact that the fluid is very low (if read properly) indicate that you need to be sure that you are not leaking transmission fluid. It should be inspected. Is the car parked in an area that would show a small puddle of fluid on the ground?

Different cars use different types of fluid. Since Dexron III isn’t supported by GM any longer, having been replaced by Dexron VI, what type of fluid did you add?

CSA

Did u check trans oil level with motor running? Or motor off? Does manual say how to check trans oil level?

Thanks, guys, yes I checked the transmission oil with the engine running in a level place. I was up in the mountains so the only choice I had was the grocery store, the auto parts store was closed at 4pm! Small mountain town. I went to the grocery store and they had a mulit-trans oil that was for all cars. I had no other choice but to put that in. I only put 1 quart because I was concerned that a specific oil was used for the car. But as long as it said multi-car, I was okay with that. Do you think it hurt my car?

I just looked at my Buick book and it says Dexron III. So, I need to get Dexron IV. Do they sell this at auto parts stores? or just at the dealership?

I check my car for leaks, where I have parked it, but do not see any leaks at all.

As soon as I put in the fluid, the car did not hesitate like it was doing.

I certainly will take it to my mechanic before I put any fluid in.

“I check my car for leaks, where I have parked it, but do not see any leaks at all.”
“As soon as I put in the fluid, the car did not hesitate like it was doing.”
“I certainly will take it to my mechanic before I put any fluid in.”

This is all good. Hopefully, when the mechanic checks it out and corrects the fluid amount/condition, you will be good to go.

CSA

Yes, I hope so! I love my car with the sunroof.