2003 Toyota Sequoia - clicks then puffs

puffing sound on driver side in cabin, after click passenger side in cabin.

My crystal ball says… most likely it has to do with your vehicle HVAC system and actuator door.

2 Likes

Do you know if your vehicle use vacuum-actuated HVAC functions? Puffing sounds can be caused by small vacuum leaks, at the vacuum hose connections, or splits in the hoses.

Welcome to the forum…

Is this after turning the vehicle off, or just starting it, or anytime driving down the road, only when raining, turning the defroster on, turning ac on or heat on??? Need a little more info to be able to help…

Hi. It’s strange in that my car has always made a clicking sound on the passenger side when I accelerate. It’s not every time, but it’s often. So the puffing sound happens when I accelerate and the clicking sound happens (no matter what road conditions, and no matter if accessories are on or off ). If it doesn’t click, it won’t puff. Hope this makes sense.

You need to find a shop and or mechanic that has Chassis Ears or you can buy them yourself… Find the click and you might find the puff…

How long have you owned the vehicle and how many miles when bought vs now??
Is the vehicle a RWD or 4WD??

It makes complete sense, just have no idea what could be the cause! … lol … One idea anyway, there may be a electric solenoid operated air valve in one of the vacuum circuits. The click is the solenoid activating or its relay, the the pfft is a small vacuum leak that doesn’t happen unless valve is opened. Evap systems can have these sorts of gadgets. When you accelerate the purge valve may be opened at that time so the evap canister can be purged of excess gas fumes. A shop with a pro scan tool should be able to command the purge valve to open on command, might be able to figure it out that way. EGR modulators can work in a similar way. The EGR modulator vacuum valve on my Corolla activates during wide open throttle.

Those sounds are usually from an exhaust manifold leak, these leaks fade away as the engine heats up. When the engine is cold, lower the windows and listen for the clicking noise from the front of the vehicle as you accelerate from a stop.

See the thing is it only does it once (and not always) during acceleration then it stops until I come to a stop then accelerate again. And again, it is intermittent. Thank you.