2003 Toyata Tacoma w/totally Rotted Frame

That was an awesome video

But I must point out that a 1994 Toyota truck is NOT a Tacoma. It’s still the previous body style

The Tacoma is a different truck, and it didn’t come out until the 1995 model year

But the video does make me think that a skilled welder/fabricator might be able to save OP’s truck . . . it all depends on how extensive the rot is, and how much the guy would charge

I hope the easter bunny brings me a welder…

What is really sad is that none of this really has to happen. It doesn’t take a great amount of engineering nor a lot of expensive metals to improve rust prevention so a car/truck frame or other part can give you 20 rust years of safe service in the worst of conditions. Most new vehicles can give you 200k miles of service mechanically with routine maintenance and yet, for the average driver of 10k miles a year in heavily salted areas, he can forget about keeping it for 20 years without extraordinary efforts. Regardless of how “benevolent” Toyota recall rusted frame program seems, it is still a numbers game and rust continues to be their friend. It’s good for the economy…not ours, theirs.

The Tundra also suffered from thin frame issues, when I hauled cars almost 30 years ago we han troube wit tying them down without bending the frames.

TheTundra was around 30 years ago ? (1999) I must have slept for 15 years.

@db4690 It’s a matter of money; if you do the work yourself, it might pay. But at the typical $100 per hour shop rate it’s hardly worthwhile.

Years ago my sister had a 1972 Ford Grand Torino (same as in the Clint Eastwood film), and those had very rust-probe (made by Budd, I believe) frames. She lived in a salty area and when the frame went, after 5 years, the whole car was scrapped. It never reached 100,000 miles and the rest of the car was still OK.