2003 Saturn Vue and crappy tranny

I would like to know if it would be reasonable to replace the current limited lifespan VTi tranny out of an 03 Saturn Vue with a GM’s 4-speed 4T45-E. I say limited lifespan I mean it is only good for somewhere between 60K-90k and I have replaced it once. I love the little suv and the engine runs like the Honda champ it is but I am looking to hand it down to my younger sister and would like to increase its reliability.

Sorry to hear the Honda engine had lost its transmission prematurely. Are you aware that GM extended their warranty on the problematic CVT tranny another 5yrs/75k miles ?

Oh no the Honda built engine runs great, its the Gm manufactured transmission that is problematic. I am aware but it currently has 113K miles on the od and its on its second transmission, not to mention that it is out of both the 5 year and 75k range.

Sort answer; NO, you can’t replace the transmission with something different.

It would require a major overhaul of the vehicle, and the replacement of one or more computers.

You’d spend more than the vehicle is worth.

Give it away or not. It’s up to you, but you’re stuck with the original transmission.

If your currrent transmission is 5 speed auto than it is Honda’s folly unfortunately. It is not a GM product. The Honda drivetrain went in with engine and transmission. 2003 is the dark years for Honda owners with a ticking automatic transmission ready to fail.

Sorry to hear you have a VTi. Folks have swapped out the VTi for a manual. You can find the info at the Saturnfans site.

It does require some work.

BTW, your 03 doesn’t have a Honda engine. The 4 cylinder used a GM enging. The 03 V6 used a Opel L-81 engine and an Aisin tranny. The 04s to 07s (V6, auto) had the Honda engine and drivetrain.