2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Transmission Question

My 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier, which has over 170,000 miles on it, just started slipping when I come to a complete stop and try to hit the gas quickly. When I don’t try to move fast, it works fine. I went to get an oil change today and they said I had a pan gasket leak–and had lost a couple of quarts of transmission fluid. They advised that I drive it around, see if it starts to slip again, and if it does then I will most likely need some serious transmission work. If it doesn’t, then it is most likely just the leak which could be fixed cheaply (as least as compared to the serious transmission work). Does this make sense to you? And if I do need to get serious work done, does anyone know how much money that could cost? (I am unemployed and broke, so that prospect scares me.) Thanks so much!

Low tranny fluid level will indeed make the tranny slip. Fix the leak.

Try the cheap (hopefully) fix first.

Make sure the correct tranny fluid for that vehicle is used.

Wherever you get it repaired, BEFORE you leave their lot, run the engine up to operating temp., with the engine idling, shift through all gears to get the fluid moving.

Wjth the vehicle level, check the tranny fluid level as per intructions stamped on the tranny fluid dipstick.

You might have to pull it out a few times before you can read it. Wipe it clean each time before replacing the dipstaick.