2003 Mitsubishi Galant

When driving, no matter what the speed we get intermittent hesitation from the engine. Usually lasts less than 30 seconds. Today lasted 7 miles. Doesn’t matter how long I’ve been driving. Does it whether the car is cold or warmed up. Was told the engine air filter needs cleaning. What are your thoughts on what this could be?

Could be a lot of things. Spark plugs, ignition wires, coils, the fuel injection system, O2 sensors, crank sensor, etc. If it was the air cleaner – that’s a possibility but not one I’d have guessed as being highly likely – it would be most noticeable on rapid acceleration, or when going up steep hills.

If this were my car, the first thing I’d do is bring all the routine engine maintance up to Mitsubish’s recommendations. As stated in your owner’s manual. When I first read your description, the first thing I thought of was spark plugs that were dirty or whose gap had increased too much.

Like @georgesanjose Says a basic tuneup should start with the spark plugs and wires, maybe a fuel filter and air filter. How many miles since last tuneup and do you have a check engine light you are ignoring.

It needs a tune up. I had exact same problem in my 2003 Galant. New plugs, wires… Runs like it did off of the show room floor. Varoooooom!