2003 Mazda Protege 5

Hi,

I would like people’s opinion on a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 wagon with 100,000 miles on the clock priced at $ 4,650. I’am about to go to grad school in the fall and need a set of reliable and affordable wheels.Would get a mechanic to check it out, but am interested in what people have to say. Thanks…

It’s an 8 year old, low end car that likely needs a timing belt job unless someone can produce receipts showing that it was recently done. It’s also way overpriced in my opinion.

There’s better options out there.

+1
The price is high, even if it has been meticulously maintained.

I assume that you have been able to look at all of the maintenance records of this car, and have compared them to the Mazda Maintenance Schedule. My policy is–no maintenance records, no purchase. Period. End of story, end of discussion.

And then, there is the issue of the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and all belt tensioners that should be done at 105k miles. If you have documentary proof that all of these things have already been done, then I suggest that you offer $3,000.

If there is no evidence that the above procedures have been done, then offer $2,000, and have that work done immediately after buying it.

I would be interested in the other options under 5K please.

I like and will adopt your policy of “no records no purchase”. Thanks. will keep looking.

1 Like