2003 honda crv

the ac, defroster and heat are out. What are we looking at in terms of repair?

It depends on what is out. Tell us a lot more. Does the fan run, does the air move does the AC kick on at all what sounds does it make???

the car is with a college student who says it makes no sounds but if you put your hand up to it with the air switched to on, you can tell it wants to kick out cold air and the same with the heat.wanting to kick out warm air, but nothing comes out. Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to us.

“you can tell it wants to kick out cold air and the same with the heat.wanting to kick out warm air, but nothing comes out”

I have not found vehicles to be very good about communicating their hopes and dreams. Usually you have a situation where something works consistently, or it consistently doesn’t work, or it works intermittently. As a result I don’t know what you mean when you say the it “wants” to work, but that nothing comes out.

Is the blower motor working? If not, then I would start with the fuse for the blower motor, since that motor is necessary for getting the system to emit air–whether hot or cold.

ok, lets try this again. From what I am told, there is an “essence” of cold air when the air is on and the same with the heat, although nothing comes out with any sort of force.

The blower is, probably, not working. Questio: Does college student hear the blower fan when the heat/cool fan speed switch is turned on? The blower blows air (hot, cold, in-between) through the air vents. The fault can be electrical control, or power, or the blower motor; or, the vent controls.
If the air control is set to outside intake, and the temperature control is set to heat, air will be pushed through the heating ducts, by intake air pressure through the cowl vents, when the car is moving. And, stop when the car stops.
To determine cost to repair, it, first, has to be known what is at fault. To find that out, troubleshooting has to be done. There would be cost of troubleshooting plus cost of the actual repair.
The college student will need to find a freelance mechanic, an independent repair shop, or, a heat and air conditioning repair shop.
In the meantime, winter won’t last forever.