My 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid has lurched for over a year now. The dealership has run tests and can’t seem to figure it out – though my budget has only allowed them to take a look at it 2 or 3 times.
Things I know:
- lurches are accompanied by RPM fluctuations
- only lurches at slow speeds (under 30 mph?)
- only lurches on a slow, steady deceleration – does not lurch in acceleration or quick deceleration
- dealership replaced O2 sensor; had no effect
- Jiffy Lube flushed oil and (I think) transmission fluid systems; had no effect
- previous owner did not perform regular maintenance; missed oil changes, etc.
- lurching seemed to get really bad last summer, getting progressively worse until the car died on the road. The nearest mechanic said I was out of oil (which surprised me because I had changed the oil maybe 2 months prior?)
- lurching can be minimized by turning off AC/heat
Things that MIGHT be playing a part?
- seems like it gets worse in summer heat. Definitely still happens in winter though, so this may be my imagination.