2003 Honda Civic - accidental diesel in tank

Of course, then you have to get rid of 5 gallons of diesel/gasoline fuel mixture…

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve started shying away from any DIY work involving car fluids…

1 Like

That’s the kind of DIY attitude and advice that keeps this site interesting - and helpful!

1 Like

yrs ago i had a fuel pressure tester hose kit and i ran out of gas for my mower so i pumped a 1/2 gal or so into the gas can using the valve port on the fuel rail. i think AZ will let you borrow a fuel pressure tester.

How do you get rid of $20 in diesel mixed with some gasoline?

How would I do it? I would gradually consume it by using small amounts in each tankful for my smaller engines like mowers, blowers, chipper etc. Probably even hasten it by adding small amounts to my older cars as well. Come to think of it, I have a neighbor with an older diesel truck. He’d probably eagerly accept it. Mixed in with nearly full tank of diesel, unlikely to be a problem…

1 Like

We have a bimonthly hazardous waste disposal, it would be accepted there and disposed of properly for no charge.

I don’t like the do-it-yourself suggestion. To many ways to end up spilling, and at worst, starting a large fire. Have it towed, have the shop drain the tank, fill it up, and if it’ll start drive it for 20 miles. If it won’t start, then they’ll have to clean out the rest of the fuel system.

3 Likes

Blackbird , you could but the average person has no business trying this in their own garage or driveway. Plus where I live disposing of the drained fuel is impossible .

Wow lol I’m new to cartalk and I didn’t expect so many great and interesting replies! I got it towed and they drained the tank and put in $20 gas for me. The total charge was $195 dollars. I’m thankful it wasn’t more and happy it’s done. First time I put
diesel…and last. Too much on my mind and wasn’t thinking. Lesson learned. Thanks everyone! Ps…to the diy suggestion on car repairs isn’t for me.

Diesel fuel is a lot less volatile than gasoline, due to the fact that it’s hard to ignite without compressing. It’s flammable, but harder to light than gasoline.

4 Likes

Frances , because I am nosy please tell us how you did that . Also that really sounds like a very reasonable charge by the shop.

How I put diesel? I had received a text earlier in the day from a friend who found out she has cancer. I was not thinking clearly. I made a mistake. First time for everything…but never again.

3 Likes

It’s part diesel, part gas, so still flammable.

2 Likes

Here’s the good news:
Diesel is a fuel OIL.
As such it is a lubricant.
This accident probably extended the life of your fuel pump by several years. It may have even helped with your upper cylinder lubrication, extending the life of your piston rings and cylinder walls

Here’s the bad news:
Diesel burns with a carbon soot.
Expect to replace your spark plugs soon.
When you take it in for a “tune-up” make sure the mechanic knows about the diesel incident or he will think your car is burning oil.

How do I know that the diesel will fowl your plugs but preserve your motor? Experience.
I use a lead substitute in my mower gas. When I can’t find (or afford) a lead substitute, I use a 200-250:1 two-cycle mix for all my mowers. If I only have enough to cycle mix for my trimmers, I use 40-50:1 diesel mix. In my diesel trucks I run 150-200:1 two-cycle in the summer and 125-150:1 cetane booster in the winter.

Results: a decade ago, I was replacing spark plugs every 250-500 hours (2x oil change) and mower engines every 1500-3000 hours. Now I replace spark plugs every 150-200 hours and I have one Kawasaki engine with 5800 hours (in car years that’s 350,000 miles), the rest of my equipment has similar results.

Results 2:
My personal diesel truck on USLD #2 summer blend, 1150 lb/ft torque, 375 BHP.
My personal diesel on USLD #2+#1 winter blend, 1175 lb/ft, 398 BHP
On summer blend with 150:1 — 1195, 402
On winter blend with cetane — 1205, 426
These flywheel numbers are reverse estimated from wheel numbers.

Side note, on JP8 with 2-cycle, 125:1, and a full shot of methanol, 29 pounds of boost, 1420 rwt @ 2100, 480 BHP @ 3150. And then I exploded my rear differential before I could make a full pull

Yeah @VOLVO_V70 I knew that going in. Same goes for many of the replies that I write, But I did it and will continue to do so, just in case they want to take matters into their own hands and be adventurous. I never know when an OP will actually use the advice given, so I pretend that they do and in the process, save the day, as it were. Maybe I add in a ticker tape parade for solving the issue at hand. C’mon man, its what keeps me going, LOL.

It would’ve worked too, oh well, at least they are all fixed up now.

You have a lot of confidence in strangers, here is a story about a guy replacing a headlight bulb and burning the house down;

I think people on here are more interested in the “physical” how. First of all, I’m sorry about your friend’s diagnosis.

As a few people have stated on here, gas and diesel pump nozzles are different sizes, precisely to prevent people from filling their gasoline tanks with diesel. In fact, diesel fuel nozzles are exactly 1/8" larger in diameter; on most cars, due to the filler flap, you cannot physically fit the diesel nozzle into the fuel tank filler neck.

I’m genuinely curious how you accomplished this feat. Did the diesel nozzle fit effortlessly into your fuel filler neck? Or did you really have to force it in there?

1 Like

I should have mentioned how, sorry. I’m in Canada…the nozzle went in no problem. The tow truck driver told me they used to be a lot bigger so this never used to happen. Now, apparently they’re the same size. I didn’t know that because it was the first
time I made that mistake.

Thank you, for your kind words about my friend.

Unleaded fuel nozzles are 7/8", diesel fuel nozzles are 15/16". When the nozzle tips are worn they can be forced into the tank opening.

Pump nozzles for refueling commercial trucks are larger for greater volume, 1 1/8".

In the US of A anyway but sounds like that might not be true everywhere in Canada. About as bad now is the nozzle for E15 right next to the E10 and just a little orange or yellow sticker warning you not to use it unless you have a multi-fuel vehicle. I stopped at an out of town chain station Monday and just about did it myself because I wanted mid-grade and it was right in the middle of the regular and premium.