2003 Honda accord

Right so I have a 2003 Honda Accord I’ve changed out distributor throttle body and still I have the same problem car will crank for about 5 seconds the car is perfect on idle for about 30 to 40 seconds then it just dies I thought maybe a blockage in the exhaust system so disconnected the exhaust from under the engine but still have the same problem what happens is the car will die on its own after 30 or 40 seconds but it’s soon as I Give It throttle gas petrol whatever you called it completely dies what could be the problem would it be a fuel filter would it be a fuel pump would it be fuel injectors fuel is getting to the engine I know it is because I loosened the nut on the fuel line going into the engine so I know that fuel is going to the engine really really need some help

Any CEL codes showing? If not,that could be a challenge

I would guess that it is the fuel pump. I would have the fuel pressure tested (or buy your own fuel pressure test kit and do it yourself). I think you may even be able to get a loaner fuel pressure tester for free from an auto parts store like O’Reilly’s or Advance Auto or AutoZone. You can see how to do it on YouTube video probably, or subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com for about $30 and you can get all of the procedural details and specifications for your exact car.

1 Like

The problem might be with the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=657020&cc=1415630&jsn=359

http://www.standardbrand.com/media/885939/ST10235AS-FEB14_JTF_MAP.pdf

The MAP sensor is one of the primary inputs into the computer when the engine is started cold.

If there’s a problem with this sensor, it can effect fuel delivery and ignition timing.

Tester

If fuel pressure is too low to keep it running (it will be OK for a short while because moving the key to Run causes the fuel pump to run for a couple seconds), could be the computer is getting a “no oil pressure” reading and is shutting off the fuel pump. There may be one or two oil pressure sensors, and the one that signals the computer is not working, or there is a bad connection.

That’s necessary for the engine to run, but not sufficient. Electronic fuel injection like your Accord has requires a fairly high fuel pressure for the injectors to work correctly, on the order of 40-50 psi probably. The advice above to measure the fuel pressure while the symptom is occurring is spot on. I expect you’ll discover it drops markedly at the same time the engine stalls. If so, either a faulty fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. A clogged air filter can cause a similar symptom, so take a look at that too.