2003 gmc

I hvae been told my truck does not maintain fuel pressure after shutting it off which in tern causes the engine to turn over several times before it starts. does this mean I need a new fuel pump or someting else.

The anti-drainback valve is part of the fuel pump assembly. So if it no longer functions the fuel pump assembly requires replacement. However, I don’t consider this as a reason to replace the fuel pump. You can get around this problem by turning the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then start the engine. Cycling the igntion on and off this many times cycles the fuel pump enough times to reprime the fuel system so the engine can start immediately. Then in the future if the fuel pump shows other problems, replace it then.

Tester

Thank you sir do you know how much the pump replacement cost

There are a couple other possibilities for failing to hold fuel pressure.

One is a leaking fuel injector, which would likely cause your oil to start smelling like gasoline sooner or later. Another is a failed fuel pressure regulator, which may or may not leave evidence of failure (fuel in its vacuum line).