2002 VW Jetta TDI Injector Pump/Starting issue

I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a possible problem with my Jetta. In the last week, my car has had a difficult time starting on 3 occasions,all three time the car has been sitting at least 6 hours and on a incline. One it starts it runns normally and doesn’t idles smoothly. The injector pump and injectors are original to the car. The battery on the car was replace 2 months ago, and it has a new glow plug harness a month and half ago. Is it possible that the pump is losing it prime or is one of the injectors is leaking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is it possible that the pump is losing it prime or is one of the injectors is leaking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Likely it is loosing prime. If you have a clear fuel line and you see a few small bubbles OK if you see a lot, not OK

When you have a difficult time starting it try turning on the ignition for maybe 10 seconds and repeat, then try to start it. If that takes care of it, it may be the pump, fuel filter (when was the last time you changed it - if you do it yourself hang onto that MickyMouse clip) and you could have the pickup strainer in the tank clogged.

Good Luck

For more TDI specific information you might want to check out www.tdiclub.com

Fuel filter?

Yeah, diesel is a somewhat dirty fuel and it can’t (CAN’T) have ANY water in it. Diesels depend on very high compression to detonate the fuel and water doesn’t combust (which is why it’s so useful to put out fires!). So TDIs have a fuel filter and water separator under the hood. Have a look in the manual, I think they are recommended to be changed every 20k miles.

This is from TDI Club.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

For the fuel pump and injector pump to lose prime, air has to be getting into fuel lines from the tank to the injector pump. In your owner’s manual is there a procedure for bleeding air from the system if you ran the tank out of fuel. If so try this procedure when you have parked on an incline for a long period and are experiencing the hard starting problem.

If the bleeding procedure works have the fuel lines, fittings, and flexible hoses from the tank to the injector pump checked for leaks.

Keep us appraised of the progress on this problem.