Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

2002 Volvo S60 AWD automatic stuck in "manual" mode

I loaned my 2002 S 60 Volvo turbo to my daughter while I changed the oil in her Jeep. I should have warned her not to move the shifter to the left to put the transmission into manual mode. I had gotten it stuck to the left once before. I “fixed” by turning the car off. That may have been a fluke, but it has worked in auto mode for several weeks since then. Since it moved to the right, it has been fine until today. I never put it back into manual mode again. Being the leadfoot that my daughter is, I guess she had to try it in manual mode. If you don’t know, that’s where the driver pushes the selector forward for an upshift, and backwards for a downshift. (and you’ll probably have no ideas.) Although she won’t admit it, I think she may have shoved it over HARD to the right, and broken something in an effort to bring it home just like she borrowed it.

I tried shutting it off, and even disconnected the battery for a while. Nothing seemed to work. I can drive it in manual mode, but since it is an automatic, I may as well take advantage of all of its abilities.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on? Is there a solenoid involved, or a detent that is messed up?

How do you get it into reverse?

I can still push it over into the normal full-automatic side, and forward into reverse and park. I can HOLD it on that side too, and it will shift normally. It’s like a spring is holding it on the manual side of the shift quadrant when the selector is pulled into the D position.

Apparently, the detent mechanism for ‘D’ has failed. Pull the console apart and have a look.


OK, I’ve done that and found a small yellow piece that has apparently fallen out. For the life of me, I can’t see where it’s supposed to go. I’m planning a trip to the Volvo dealer to see if they might have an exploded view drawing, or some good advice.

When I showed the yellow part to the guy at the Volvo parts counter, he didn’t even bother to look it up in his computer. He just asked which model it was for. Apparently they break off a lot. He went directly a large parts drawer and pulled out a $14 kit that consisted of a new yellow plastic part, a new black plastic part, two springs, and a a push-in plastic “rivet” to hold them all together. The reason I couldn’t tell where the yellow part went is that I only had a small piece of it. The rest was covered up. It took me a while to figure out which tabs to push which way to take it apart, and a while longer to get the springs in the right places, but it’s all fixed now. The best part is, I don’t have to shoot my daughter.


Thanks for the follow-up.

Good story and good ending.