2002 Rodeo Check Engine Light Flashing

I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS. From time to time (though really only in the mornings) my check engine light will flash at me during acceleration when the car is doing more than 1500 RPMs.

Some mornings it does this and stops within a few minutes. Some mornings it does it the whole way to work. Other mornings it stops if I restart my car. Still others, it does nothing at all. It is rare that it does this in the afternoons.

I took it in for a “major tune up” less than a year ago when it was doing somewhat similar things.

My current running theory is that maybe it has somethign to do with humidity levels, as it did not do this on Monday which was very dry but has done it the past two days when there was some humidity and dew on the hood.

Go to a place like Autozone and have the stored codes read then let us know what they are. They will do this for free.

A flashing Check Engine light indicates cylinder misfire. The reason it flashes is to draw your attention to the condition as continued misfires can damage the catalytic converter(s).

If the condition occurs when it’s wet or when there’s major humidity, it may indicate worn secondary ignition components. These include ignition coil(s), plug wires, and sparkplugs.

Tester

A flashing check-engine light normally means that the problem is serious and damage could result. Continuing to drive it like this sounds like a pretty bad idea to me.

Unfortunately Autozone and Advanced auto, even the local repair shop couldn’t pull a code last time. I had to take it to the dealer.

Is this something that the shop/dealer can make happen on days that are NOT humid? I do not want to take it to them only to have them say they can’t reproduce the problem…

Sure! You can even do it.

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Set the nozzle on the bottle to produce a mist. With the engine running, spray the mist on the coil(s), and plug wires. If the engine starts mis-firing, there’s a problem with the secondary ignition components.

Tester

Awesome. Thanks for the info! Last question (I think)… Why would it only have a problem when it is humid/dewy outside… and not when it is raining/after it has rained when it is even more humid?

Vehicles are goofy that way. Sometimes the conditions have to be just right for the problem to occur.

Tester