2002 Nissan Maxima nut won't come off the trans filter

The nut on the threaded stud keeps turning but, will not come off of the transmission filter.

Hey Neil! Any chance you could post a photo of what you’re looking at on that vehicle?
CSA :palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

I’m on SS and my cell phone only has talk and text.

is the stud turning, or is the nut slipping on the stud?

Providing it is the nut turning only try this if there is room 1. use vise grips and pull while turning 2. hold the flat blade of a screw driver between nut and filter while turning nut

1 Like

The nut and the stud are turning at the same time.

I’ve heard that on some Nissan’s, there is a nut on top of the upper casing that the filter is attached to, and, you have to remove the guts to get to it.
I hope this is not the case!?

This is what I hope I don’t have to do.
2001 Nissan Sentra Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change This is the YOU TUBE link I am talking about.

I know it’s a Sentra. I just hope it’s not the same as mine!?

I just cannot find a video on my Maxima that, explains how to replace the transmission filter.
2002 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE.

I’m seeing four different types of transmission options listed for a 2002 Maxima SE. Which do you have?

1. CVT
  2. Automatic
  3. Automatic Shifted Manual Trans
  4. Manual Trans

Beyond that, I don’t see any instructions on how to replace the transmission fluid filter, other than it is spec’d at a little less than 2 hours.

Some Nissan’s have a nut that is attached to the threaded stud up inside the transmission that holds the filter up.
I can’t find a video for my vehicle.
I don’t want to use vice grips to take it out because, if the other side of the threaded stud has a nut inside the tranny, the nut will be loose and mess the tranny up. This is my issue.
Until I know for sure, I’m just going to have to wait to finish.
I really do appreciate your reply and help.

2002 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Automatic.

I don’t understand why the automatic transmission filter replacement procedure for your car seems impossible to find, but I looked & sure couldn’t find it. Sorry you are having this frustration. If I had that problem myself I’d drive over to the Nissan dealership shop at a time when they aren’t too busy and try to coax the answer out of the staff there. At the dealership’s I’ve done this (not Nissan) they are usually very willing to give some experienced guidance to the diy’er. It’s a 2002 Maxima, not the Space Shuttle afterall :wink:

Thank you so much for your reply and help.

Why didn’t I think of that!?

GOD bless and thanks again.