2002 Mountaineer O/D light

I have an 02 Mountaineer and the O/D light started flashing as I was driving to work. The check transmission light also came on? Please help, do I need to go to the dealer?

Jennifer,

Those lights are telling you that the computer has found a problem.  Take it to a trans shop or dealer so they can connect a scanner to the computer and read the trouble codes.  Post back with the codes and we'll go from there.

transman

The transmission shop told me that the transmission needs to be replaced along with the torque converter. This seem extreme to me and expensive. Thanks for your help.

Jennifer,

Is it running any different???  Did they tell you the codes that were set.  Dont buy their "Needs a new transmission" response just yet.  If they wont give you any other explanation than that then you need to go elsewhere.  Get a 2nd opinion!!!!! A flashing O/D light could be something very simple and cheap to fix. Get more info from them and post back with their response.

transman

Hmmm…Was that transmission shop by any chance AAMCO, or Lee Myles, or Cottman? The response that you received sounds very much like one of those chain operations. Seek out an independent transmission shop that has been in business for more than a couple of years, and you just may get a more favorable solution to your transmission problem. Maybe the transmission needs to be replaced, but maybe not.