2002 Mercedes C320 Trunk Latch

I have issues with my trunk latch! When I grip the latch lever on the trunk, it is supposed to click once into the open position and click once into the lock position when I let go.

When I grip/activate it, it cycles 3 times (6 clicks) and always ends up in the unlocked position. So I can not close and secure the trunk. I can observe the operations and can see that the motor is working and can see it mechanically cycle through the lock/unlock cycles.

What I am thinking is there is some sort of limit switches that let the motor know which cycle it is on and what position it is in. I feel this is the issue, but can not find any youtubes or HOWTOs on this. One I saw even advised cutting the trunk metal with snips. They got the part in with at the factory, so it has to come out ez somehow.

Anyway can not find the information I need so if you have seen it, please pass it along so I can fix my trunk latch!

Thnx all! All help appreciated!

Cheers!

TBNK

The SAM module controls the trunk lid operation.

Tester

Tester,

The posts on those links are cryptic, so if you are not already “In The Know” they say absolutely nothing at all, the DIY’r can understand. If you recommend such posts, you must interpret.

Cheers!

All,

Finally found this HOWTO at:

https://www.youcanic.com/mercedes-benz-trunk-wont-close-lock-shut

Reading down a ways, after the video, you see where they explain the “memory loss” when the battery zeros, you change the battery, or something else happens to cause loss of voltage in the cars electricql system. My problem here was we have so many cars in for repairs that this one set over 2 years, so yes the battery was flat. So ftal that the new style battery chargers will not charge the battery without sensing voltage. Thank goodness I have a trickle charger, so was able to “jump” the battery with that, so the other battery charger started working.

Car is in the mechanics garage for other repairs, but will try this when I get it back!

Cheers!

TBNK

All,

OK! Got the trunk working correctly. No matter what I tried originally and by the HOWTOs, it would not latch. So I took this tool I have and shoved it up into the latch and it locked, so now knew there is nothing wrong with the actual locking mechanism.

So I determined the lower latch loop was not high enough to engage the latch. I removed the 2 screws, added 2 washers under each and tightened it down. Since the threaded plate the screws go into is loose, it took several attempts to get the alignment right, but once aligned correctly the trunk now locks shut when the trunk lid is closed.

Anyway, Problem Fixed!

Thnx all for the help and suggestions!

Cheers!

TBNK

1 Like