2002 Jaguar

I listen to your show on Saturday mornings on WVXU, it is great.

My problem is my 2002 Jaguar which has 48,000 miles. I had noticed a noise and jerking problem at various times but nothing consistent. However I was driving to Jackson MS. from Cincinnati, OH.

Before I crossed the state line between Kentucky and Tennessee I heard a noise that sounded like something had lodged beneath the carriage. I pulled off at the rest stop looked under the car, then under the hood and saw nothing. I continued to drive for about 70 miles then I heard a horrific noise and I thought the transmission had gone out. I pulled off the Interstate and had to have the car towed to the next exit. I rented a car the next day I continued to Jackson. On my way back I had to have the car pulled on the trailer and hauled back to Cincinnati. The Jaguar dealership in Cincinnati told me that they only would install a complete NEW transmission and Jaguar does not allow them to repair the transmission. The cost would be about $8,000. The service writer also told me that this has been a problem with this model and it could be the transmission or the transfer case.

I have had five Mercedes prior to the Jaguar never had any problems. I was told when I bought the Jaguar to buy two cars at the same time. The second car could be used when the Jaguar when in the shop.

Good advise!

Any thoughts from up East? Do know of any blog sites to see if others have had the same problem.

Thanks from Cincinnati,

Mike Lambert

My problem is my 2002 Jaguar with 44,800 miles. I had noticed a noise and jerking problem at various times but nothing consistant. However I was driving to Jackson MS. from Cincinnati, OH. Before I crossed the state line between Kentucky and Tennessee I heard a noise that sounded like someting had lodged beneath the carriage. I pulled off at the rest stop looked under the car and then under the hood and saw nothing. I continued to drive for about 70 miles when I heard a horrific noise and I thought the transmission had gone out. I pulled off the Interstate and had to have the car towed to the next exit. The next day I continued to Jackson. On my way back I had to have the car pulled on the a trailor hauled back to Cincinnati. The jaguar dealership in Cincinnati told me that they only would install a complete NEW transmission and Jaguar does not allow them to repair the transmission. The cost would be about $8,000. The service writer also told me that this has been a problem with this model and it could be the transmission or the transfer case.

British Cars are not known for relaibility. You can have any ammount of problems with them. Whoever told you to buy two at the same time was not kidding. I dont know if they have solved all the electrical problems yet, thats something else to be careful of.

Well modern British cars are about average in reliability.

You need to find an independent mechanic in the Hamilton County area. Ideally one who knows Jaguars, but they are not all that different for most things. You need a second opinion and a second estimate. Since there does not seem to be an warranty involved, there should be no reason the dealer needs to be your repair source. Dealers are no better (or worse) than independents. Dealers are far more likely to say NEW transmission when thee one you have may be repaired cheaply or a rebuilt may be available.

Did they tell you what exactly happened to the transmission? Transsman hangs out around here and he it the authority on transmissions. He may be able to offer you some specific advice. What ever he says can be taken as true.

Jag has used many different powertains over the years, so maybe you could be a little more specific as to what, exactly, is underneath your car.

Since Ford owns Jag, maybe you have a common Ford powertrain, making for far greater repair choices…You mentioned a transfer case…Is this car AWD??

The mention of a transfer case is the clue that this must be the Jaguar X-type sedan. While Jaguars are never exactly paragons of reliability, this particular model isn’t really even a Jaguar, but rather, a tarted-up clone of the Ford Mondeo (European version of the late, NOT lamented Ford Contour).

In Britain, where the citizens tend to be loyal to Jaguar, the manufacturer has had a hard time even giving these X-types away since so many Brits realize that it is just a premium-priced Ford Mondeo! But, that bit of trivia aside, a glance at the reliability ratings of the Jaguar X-type reveals that the worst problem areas on that model are the transmission and the AWD system.

While I empathize with the OP, I just can’t figure out why so many people fail to do any research on the reliability history of certain makes of cars prior to buying them. In this case, the OP may have little choice besides biting the bullet and fixing his Ford/Jaguar at the lowest possible price and then unloading it on another person who is unaware of Jaguar’s reputation.

Unfortunately I have to agree with VDC that you really have no alternative but to get it fixed. It may be a good idea to talk with some tranny shops and if they can do it cheaper have the car towed there and just pay the dealer the diagnosis charge, which shouldn’t be too expensive.

Sorry.