2002 Isuzu Trooper - Water pump?

Leaks anti freeze front of engine. Makes strang noise when first startup. Suspect water pump.

Sounds very likely. Would change upper and lower radiator hoses while you’re at it.

2 Likes

I’m kinda sure that you have a timing belt and if so you need to take care of the leak ASAP. Timing belts don’t last long when anti freeze gets on them and that can result in a real catastrophe $$$$$$$.

2 Likes

…especially if those timing belts are 16 years old…
:astonished:

Thank you for your input, if I had tools and a warm place to work on it I would dig into it myself.I got a quote from a repair shop today. I looked at it today and looks like a serpinetine belt-drives alternator and compresser in addition to the water pump-if it’s on a timing belt I think it would be completly covered.

Based on your last post I think you may be confusing the water pump with the power steering pump as being driven by the serpentine belt. The water pump is driven by the timing belt, If the noise is a clattering sound it is probably the water pump bearings.

It appears that the water pump IS driven by the serpentine belt.

Even with the water pump driven by the serpentine belt the pump has a weep hole behind the timing cover. When the pump fails coolant runs on the timing belt.

It seems the pump is timing belt driven

https://www.autozone.com/powertrain/engine/surefire-engine/561802_867451_11266

but regardless the T-belt, hardware, water pump, serpentine belt and all the hoses should be replaced. It’s noted to be an interference engine.

No argument with that. However, replacing the water pump is much simpler when it’s driven by the serpentine vs timing belt.

I thought most water pump weep holes were on the bottom of the shaft housing.

Rock Auto shows this when it comes to replacing the water pump on this vehicle.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/isuzu,2002,trooper,3.5l+v6,1386660,engine,timing+belt%2C+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

Pick your kit!

Tester.

Now I’m really confused. One of the above illustrations shows the water pump being driven by the timing belt. The other shows it being driven by the serpentine belt. Are we sure both illustrations are the of the same engine? (the 3.5 V6 Isuzu)

While it is often much simpler to replace a pump when driven by the serpentine belt instead of the timing belt it was much easier to get customers to take complete package deal when the pump was t-belt driven. And in the long run customers benefited from making that choice.