2002 ford exployer transmission

I have a 02 exployer and the transmission light came on today for the first time. It was flashing a code but I didn’t catch it before it quit. I thought maybe the tranny needed fluid but could not find the dip stick. I checked the glove box book and it said there wasn’t one. Huh??? How can that be? A call to the dealer today (a saturday) was not satisfing. They said it was only dealer serviced and I would have to leave it with them. A car parts shop has after market filters for this tranny, so how does one check and add fluid. And when the code comes back, is there a site for expaining the code? I have not had this car long and had it professionally serviced the last and only time. Thanks

Here you go & no theres no dipstick. What was Ford thinking.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/558730-can-you-add-fluid-to-auto-trans.html?highlight=tra

Other Fords, and other makes also, are dipstickless. It’s the wave of the future and I predict that in X number of years it will get to the point where an engine will not have a dipstick either.

I have a regular customer with a mercedes that has no oil dipstick. With car level drain the oil, change the filter, add 8 quarts of synthetic, start car, allow to run for 2 minutes, turn car off, turn key on, press and hold oil level syncroniser switch until light stops flashing, drive away.
~Michael

We need to know what the code is first. Take it to a dealer or trans shop and have the computer scanned. Post back with the code/s and we’ll go from there.

transman