2002 Dodge Durango Heat

Ok, so, my heater works, I can feel the hot air coming out of the vents, but no matter what setting I use, I can’t get the blower to kick on. The hot air just trickles out. Does anyone know what might be wrong, and how much, or how hard it would be to fix? The weird part is that sometimes the fan will work. I need to get this fixed, I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I just want to have some idea what to tell the mechanic.

Turn the fan on high and whack the bottom of the blower housing with a rubber mallet or a block of wood. If that gets it to try to do something then that usually means you need a new blower motor. To find out how much, just call a local parts store. They’re generally not that difficult to replace. A $20 repair manual from that same store will tell you how, or Autozone’s free online repair info may have it. Or you can just look & figure it out. Its normally one plug & three screws.

Other than that, you want to at least check the fan connector. It could just be dirty/corroded/loose.

If you have a multimeter or 12V test light you can verify that you have power getting to the motor connector.

" I just want to have some idea what to tell the mechanic."

“Ok, so, my heater works, I can feel the hot air coming out of the vents, but no matter what setting I use, I can’t get the blower to kick on. The hot air just trickles out.”

That’s it ! Perfect !

CSA