2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 trim heats up when AC runs

2002 Silverado 1500 LS trim heats up when the A/C is turn on. Outside temperature is around 85 to 90 degrees plus when this happens. Turn A/C off and it goes back to normal. Runs normal other wise. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Check to make sure the fan runs when the ac is on. If it doesn’t the engine will run hotter. Check the coolant level and make sure the radiator isn’t blocked with bugs and whatnot.

what is heating up?

the engine? how hot does it start running?

is it the dash trim that is heating up?

The radiator fan clutch may be slipping.

Tester

Tester,

Thanks for the info. I will let you know what I find out.

Don

davepsinbox,

There is no eletric fan on this truck if that is what you are talking about. The coolant is okay and radiator isn't blocked with anything.

eddo,

The engine is heating up when I run the A/C. When the A/C is off, everything is fine. It only does this when the temperature is 80 degrees plus. Will let you know if I find anything.

Don

Tester,

Thanks for the info. I watched the video and it was interesting. I am from old school, in other words I have to prove to myself what is causing the problem. I am not a parts changer. Been doing this for a long time. Will let you know what I find out.

Don

Tester,

After watching your video, I ordered a new fan clutch. GM part number 20913877/AC Delco 15-4694. The part is same except different part numbers. Anyway I tried to get it to do it again after I installed the new part. Couldn’t get it to do it. I couldn’t see hardy any difference between the old and new part by turning them by hand.

Thanks for your help.
Don

They feel the same because the clutch is “off” when it is cold. When the fan clutch itself heats up, a bi-metal spring twists a port closed so the clutch will turn the fan. You can’t hand test it cold.

@geering577 Forget being old school and just have a shop find your real problem . Just guessing and replacing parts can be non - productive .

Also not a big deal but just in case you don’t know your replies are seen by everyone so it is not needed to make individual replies.