2002 Cadillac DeVille with Anti-freeze leak, now all anti-freeze came out? while driving

Did you ask them to find the leak or were you only asking for an explanation for the coolant loss? With enough time inspecting the engine the leak should have been found.

1 Like

Only asked about why I would have to add so much coolant. I never got it looked at. They do an inspection when they do my oil change but never said anything about any leaks or hose issues, Just got an oil change recently too. I never knew about doing a pressure test until after the car was towed. I live in the south now and wondered if the extreme heat would have caused it which seems unlikely. However, the heat does do a number on cars here.

The kit from AutoZone has some adapters. Have them get a new pressure cap for your car from stock and compare it to the adapters to see it one will work.

1 Like

This is the end result of watching your vehicle leak a very vital fluid for over 3 years… The end result will never be a good one and should have been remedied within the first 3 days or weeks. You are now open to a host of problems if not outright engine termination due to a head gasket issue or possible HG issue. None of this is good.

2 Likes

2002 has 30k miles on motor? replacement motor? used motor?
northstars and bad headgaskets? very common

2 Likes

I suspect that the Caddy, like my Pontiac, has the feature to begin shutting the engine down in the case of over-heating. According to the book anyway, the computer will shut down cylinders to cope with high temps to save the engine. Might be why it lost power.

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you.

Replacement motor is from dealer I believe

I did not loose power. I was driving on the Interstate when several things flashed on information panel. So I pulled over after driving about two miles from when it started. I was entering on to another interstate and this was as soon as I could pull over. I then had it towed. It was overheating a little by then. It drove fine.

more info on this please.

How many miles ago? What kind of warranty? Have you had this vehicle back to the place that installed the engine to check for the coolant loss that you have been experiencing since this engine was installed?

1 Like

unfortunate about motor. they are prone to headbolts pulling from alum block and it used to be fairly easy to find shops that would install studs in block and fix issue. usually in the $2k range. a new motor will not have studs. it will have the old issue prone headbolts but they usually do not fail at 30k miles. but, there are other things that leak on these motors. waterpumps and/or coolant crossover housing which is a bear to change gasekts on. and hoses. and so on

1 Like

Engine was put in back in 2009? in another state. It has about 30,000 miles on it. I believe the motor was purchased from the dealership and installed in a shop. My soon to be ex-husband did that, so I do not have the details.

Did a pressure test. The leak is coming from the front passenger side where I noticed the anti-freeze sprayed. I can not see where it is leaking from due to parts in the way. It is about 3/4th the way down the side of the radiator area. I do not know which hoses are in that area, but it is too low to be the upper radiator hose. I only removed the radiator cover before doing the test. I wish I had a video of it. It has to be a hose or possibly the radiator leaking. In this picture the leak is between 5 o’clock and 6 o’clock.

Any shop could fix a leaky hose. If u don’t want to do it.

1 Like

The shop wanted $150 to diagnose it. Then for example $250 to replace the upper radiator hose. That is $400 just to replace a hose and it is not the upper radiator hose so it probably would be more. I would like to replace it but I can’t even see which one it is. Not sure what I need to remove to view the area better.

Hi. Shortly after the last reply my car was towed away. After getting it back another pressure test showed the leak was a cap on the radiator. Apparently this cap covers up an access that some models need. The rubber cap had deteriated. The cap was replaced by my son. Now it leaks further back and towards the center of the car. Been waiting for my son to help do another pressure test. I’m wondering if somehow it caused pressure some other place.

I wanted to thank everyone that tried to help me with their input. It was much appreciated.

The plastic adapters that mate the heater hoses to the heater core are real bad about developing a crack that will leak intermittently, then suddenly they eventually crack all the way around and let all the coolant out in seconds. There is another plastic Y pipe just below the external coolant reservoir (aka overflow tank) that can also crack. Both have bad histories.

In some vehicles the plastic adapters to the heater cores are half hidden by the cowl.

1 Like