I don’t know why I have such angst over these types of decisions, I never know what the right answer is so maybe someone can tell me their experience.
We haven’t ever had our Allroad a year but it is beautiful to drive, most of the time, and I love the look. But, we can see the repairs coming very soon. The check engine light is on and off all the time. We are told the torque converter needs to be fixed in the near future. The shifting is getting hard here and there as well. It is leaking coolant somewhere. The water pump? The suspension is always iffy on these cars. All of the warning lights flash on and off at different times; possibly a loose connection. The catalytic converters are supposed to be replaced.
So here is the thing, if we sell it, we will hardly get any money for it because it is a rebuilt title with 95,000 miles on it and extensive repairs needed. Do you put 8-10 thousand dollars worth of repairs into a car, that is almost worthless and hope that fixes any problems for a few years and keep driving hoping it wont break down? Or do you buy another car for for 10 thousand that is cheaper to repair and sell the Auidi to whomever wants to deal with the troubles.
We also drive long distances with few towns inbetween to our cabin in Montana and at least once a year take a 12 hour road trip. I’ve never worried too much about being stranded before, but I have a 20 month old child. Makes you think differently.
Hard decision, because you never know if the new used car you buy will need repairs half a year into owning it. But, if the repairs are a little less expensive it seems more doable.