CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

2002 Acura Revving Question

My 2002 Acura MDX is an automatic. Frequently while in the midst of driving and foot on gas, the car will all of a sudden rev as though it is in neutral. The RPMs rise and in order to gt the car to continue driving, I have to lift my foot off the gas completely and then it seems to re-engage and continue on. any thoughts on what could be causing the “neutral-like” blips while in drive?

Transmission troubles. If you’re lucky, it’s just a pressure switch. If you’re unlucky, the transmission is going to need to be rebuilt/replaced. How long since you did a fluid exchange?

First thing I would do is have the fluid level checked. If I remember correctly there is no dipstick, the fluid level needs to be checked at the transmission pan with the car running. A shop should be able to do this for a minimum labor charge. If the fluid is low or discolored have it serviced and hope for the best. If it were an electrical issue I’d expect a warning light on the dash. I suspect your transmission is nearing the end of its life.