2001 Taurus won't fire

2001 Ford Taurus. 3.0L, 6 cyl., 80K mi. Won’t start, doesn’t fire. Brand new
fuel filter last April (77k), fuel system cleaned at same time, and ignition wires replaced then, also. Plugs all replaced 2/16 (74.5 K). Started right up 1/2/18 after sitting 3 days in sub-freezing temps. Drove 7 miles, fueled up, then wouldn’t start and hasn’t started since. What could it be?

Does the engine turn over but doesn’t starts?

Check for spark.

If there’s no spark, the problem might be with a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=445772&cc=1372755&jsn=439

If the computer see’s no signal from the crank sensor, the computer see’s no reason to operate the fuel/ignition systems.

Tester

How much might that cost me to have replaced, Tester?

Tester is making an educated possible solution and he most likely is right. But if you are going to have someone do the work don’t tell just to replace something. Let them find the actual problem.

Copy that. Thanks, Volvo.

VOLVO_V70
January 13 |

Tester is making an educated possible solution and he most likely is right. But if you are going to have someone do the work don’t tell just to replace something. Let them find the actual problem. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

Terry_P
January 13 |

How much might that cost me to have replaced, Tester? Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Enter your information here, https://repairpal.com/estimator, and see if provides that information.

Tester

Does your Taurus have a safety-reset switch in the trunk compartment ? I forget what that’s for something about the fuel pump probably, but my parents had a Taurus and I noticed it said on the label there it if the car won’t start, try pressing that. Maybe that switch has tripped and needs to be pressed.

Thanks, George.
I’ll check it out.

I thought the Ford inertia switches were usually behind the right kickpanel . . . ?

That’s where they are on all our fleet’s Fords

The inertia switches in my old Mercury and both of my LIncolns were in the trunk. I doubt the inertia is the problem but they’re very easy to test.

Simply a matter of continuity or not through 2 wires.

Since this problem surfaced after fueling up what about the possibility of water in the fuel freezing?

That happened to me many years after obtaining some tainted gasoline and the temperature dropping to 8 degrees. Water settles in the lowest point which happened to be the fuel iine from tank to engine and that’s where it froze solid.

Still kind of agree with Tester though…

Thanks, OK.
If you’re correct about the freezing, do I just wait til temps get above freezing to try to restart?

There are 2 3.0 motors. Pushrod and OHC and each has it’s own ignition issues. The OHV motor seems a bit more reliable. You said plug wires so I assume it is the OHV motor. You can always pull a plug and see if to wet with fuel.

Thanks, Cavell, I’ll check it out.

I don’t know where it is on a 2001, but on certain earlier models it was in the trunk. If the OP wants to explore that idea, their owner’s manual probably says where it is.