2001 Subaru Forester - AT temp light & ck engine light on

The AT temp light and check engine light continues to illuminate indicating a problem even after the sensor & solenoid replaced. Transmission seems fine. Filter and AT fluid was also replaced. Electrical system has been investigated with no solution. The car does have some electical issue - when the car goes through a car wash (or heavy down pour) the locks spontaneously lock and unlock until the car dries out. This may be unrelated to the current problem. Any ideas???

Most of the time I feel people are mixing symptons that have nothing to do with the problem. In your case the opposite is true, the symptom you experience when your car gets wet is of great significance, espically since you have tried to deal with the AT temp light isolated from the “car gets wet and doors lock and unlock” clue.

If you run out of angles to fix your temp light you may want to look at a overall electrical system fault (indicated by the lock/unlock symptom)

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I did actually take it directly to autozone for the “code reading” (I’ve been down this path before and knew they would do it for free!) - the reading was to replace a solenoid - I did get a printout and gave it to my mechanic (I did not keep a copy or remember the actual code). The mechanic followed through with the code recommendation… with no improvement. He has since taken it to a transmission place and they replaced yet another solenoid. So far so good - no “hand waving” from the CEL. I pick it up tomorrow and will let you know should the “code” strike again.

Thank you for your replies!

Overheated ATF could be caused by a slipping transaxle or by a binding ring/pinion gear due to low hypoid oil in the final drive. The final drive is not the same as the ATF and the gear oil could be low due to an internal leak or by someone in the past inadvertently draining it by mistake while changing the engine oil.

Neither of the latter 2 things are unheard of to put it mildly.

my check engine light is on more than it is off…i call it the idiot light… i have talked to many people who have subarus and they all have the same problem…someone told me it is just a moisture issue…something gets wet in the engine and causes it to go on…when it dries to goes off.

i dont worry about it anymore.

“the reading was to replace a solenoid” Check engine codes never, ever say to replace a particular part. They only tell you that the computer sees a particular problem. It is then the job of a good mechanic to follow proper troubleshooting procedure to determine which, if any, parts need to be replaced. For real help here, we need the specific trouble codes, not someones opinion of them.