2001 Silverado 1500 belly damage by pothole

Hit a big pothole a few days ago. Hope the pics are visible, a couple of bolt holes are visible. No fluid loss at all, and I checked often and drove a lot the last few days as well. I don’t understand that really, I would have thought I’d be dripping fluid. Running fine, not hot or anything. Any thoughts and/or advice on what to do first is appreciated,

If it’s not leaking, consider yourself lucky and drive on.

Tester

2 Likes

Something wrong with that picture. It looks like a bent cast part which isn’t lined up and the damage broke a small bolt off. Or something that requires a closer look by the average mechanic.

1 Like

I think OP is asking if the 2 large bolt holes with no bolts should have bolts? If there were 2 big bolts there that got sheared off are gone, wouldn’t something then fall down?

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong. If you are referring to the 2 black round items pointing down on either side, those are rubber plugs with drain holes that go in access holes for bolts that are recessed in the bell housing.

1 Like

I’m gonna get under there and clean it up here in a bit, appreciate the comments…very helpful and I feel better about driving it like this for a while longer at least. Usually, my cat-like reflexes would have instinctively kicked in and I would have avoided that pothole. But my wife says any reflexes I do have are more “ sloth-like” and that “Stevie Wonder would have missed that hole”. I love that woman…

(I guess CarTalk has a limit on pics for new members. I’ll see if this one posts.)

How can the bottom of the engine be damaged by a pothole? Isn’t the frame/crossmember lower than the oil pan?

2 Likes

I was thinking we were looking at the bottom of the front diff?

Tester

1 Like

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit where Eddie Murphy attempts to instruct Stevie Wonder how to impersonate Stevie Wonder … lol …

1 Like

No, the pic had to have been taken with the guy lying on the ground under the transmission and looking forward. The 2 black rubber plugs going up and down are at the rear of the oil pan.

1 Like

If it ain’t leakin’, drive on.

Tester

1 Like

We used to have several 1500 Silverados of that generation in our fleet

There’s nothing broken off or missing

Do you happen to have the 4.3-liter V6?

Yes, that’s how it looks when it’s bolted up, as far as I remember

Nothing has shifted

1 Like

Awesome thank you! Yes, V6 4.3l

A cup, the pothole, and the State Tree of Oklahoma.

1 Like

That’s hilarious!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

You might want to have your alignment checked now…

1 Like

Oklahoma state tree is a construction barricade?
Like SD state tree is a telephone pole? Or is it ND?

1 Like

It was ND when I lived in Grand Forks. State bird was a mosquito.

3 Likes