2001 Ody 105K Service

My Odyssey has around 105K miles. Manual calls for new spark plugs and adjusting valve clearances, among other service items (timing belt and water pump were done at 90K). Should I do the plugs and valve clearance adjustments even if the van is running fine. We plan to keep this van to the end of its useful life. Vehicle is in good shape. Tranny replaced at 90K also…so hopefully we have another 50K or so on this vehicle. Thanks.

If you want to keep it running well you should perform the service as specified in the owner’s manual.

If those are the original plugs they REALLY need to be replaced. Valve clearances are very important on Honda engines.

Why would you think you can skip these things?

Should I do the plugs and valve clearance adjustments even if the van is running fine

[b] Only if you want it to continue running fine![/b]

+1

Asking, “Should I do the plugs and valve clearance adjustments even if the van is running fine”, is akin to asking, “Should I get a flu shot if I feel okay today”, or “Should I take my blood pressure medication as long as I don’t think my blood pressure is high today”.

In other words, prevention (of both engine breakdowns and medical problems) is far better than having to deal with problems when they arise. Prevention is invariably cheaper than remediation of problems, and it is also far more convenient.

Incidentally, even if the Honda maintenance schedule does not list it, you DO need to have the transmission fluid changed every 30k miles or 3 yrs, whichever comes first. This is important on all cars, but it is much more important with cars known for weak transmissions, and that definitely includes several Honda models.

Check back on your timing belt invoice. Your valve clearance should have been inspected at that time when valve covers were removed. My local Honda dealer would perform the valve clearance check at timing belt replacement free since it took no real extra effort.

Valve covers didn’t need to come off with the timing belt change.