Valves

Some repair shops say valves on the 2005 Honda Odyessy need adjustment & some say they do not. Can someone clear this up for me?

yes, if the vehicle has valves, they can be adjusted.If the vehicle is not smokin out the pipe don’t fix it

See your other post of the same title for more info.

Any engine that has mechanical valve lifters (and your car is one of them) should have the valve lash inspected and adjusted as necessary every 30k miles no matter what the factory manual states. At least if you value the engine’s top end.

Even the factory recommendations about an “audible inspection” or “determining if they’re noisy” is pure bunk. Just how does one determine what the lash is on a valve; noisy or otherwise? You can’t. Period.
Excessively noisy valves are rough on adjusters and camshaft lobes and quiet valves are detrimental to the valves and valve seats so pick your poison.

Most people won’t have trouble by ignoring them but the purpose of the inspection/adjustment is to assure that you’re not one of those people who gambled and lost.

In all the Honda’s I’ve owned and serviced, not one ever needed a valve adjustment as a periodic service. And I had over 200K miles the Honda engines I’ve owned. The only time I’ve ever had to do valve adjustments on a Honda engine is if the head had to be disassembled because of valve damage from a broken timing belt, And in one instance a couple of the locking nuts for the lash adjusting screws became loose and were never seen again Replaced the nuts and set the valve lash and never removed the valve cover again. And I’ve never seen valve recession occur in a Honda engine where the valves required adjustment.

Besides, with OBDII, if anything goes awry with the valves on any engine it’ll cause a misfire, and the Check Engine light will come on with a misfire code.

Tester

If you are having a timing belt job done, I would go ahead and have them check the valves. Otherwise, if you are not having problems, I would not worry about it.

Check your owner’s manual to see if “valve adjustment” is on the maintenance schedule.

I don’t know about the Odyssey, but many Honda engines have hydraulic lifters, so they adjust themselves. However, even Honda engines without automatically adjusting valves seldom require adjustment because the engines are built to such tight tolerances. My 2005 Honda Shadow Aero motorcycle requires the valves to be checked every 8,000 miles. The bike has 31,000 miles on it, and I haven’t had to adjust the valves yet.

I would be greatly surprized if the Odyssey did not have htdraulic lifters. However, I am not familiar with that engine.

I can only say that in my years of working with mechanical lifters for dealers and seeing them day in and day out (VW/SAAB/Fiat/Subaru/Honda/Nissan/along with a few stray brands) that about half of them needed adjustments to some degree; no matter if they’re nut/screw or shim/bucket.

The factory doesn’t care. They want the vehicle to appear maintenance free and gambling odds are that any problem will occur after the warranty has expired.
By the time a problem does occur many people will trade the car off or have it repaired without really questioning or knowing why the problem occurred in the first place.

In one case (Subaru with lock/screw adjusters) this car had to have not one, but both, cylinder heads replaced and the car only had 7k miles on it. I’m the one who tore it down and several of the exhaust valve seats were burned so badly the heads were not even repairable because chunks of the aluminum were flat gone.

The factories making a claim about an “audible inspection” of the valves is a misguided and downright embarassingly bad claim to make. That’s what you get when the engineers and marketing people get together.

Have we determined that this engine has mechanical lifters???

As I said before, they are, unfortunately the OP created THREE identical threads…
This was posted in one of the other threads:
http://2005hondaodyssey.com/new_page_3_files/image002.jpg

Looks like adjustable screw with lock nut to me.

Well, I agree that they look adjustible.