2001 Lexus GS 300 - hard starting

Every time I put gas in the car it takes a while for it to start. The engine cranks but doesn’t start. I have to try it a couple of times before it starts then when it does it runs rough so I have to keep my for on the gas to keep it running for about a minute them it runs fine. What could cause this?

There’s a problem with the onboard refueling vapor recovery system.

When refueling the vehicle, the gas vapors should be forced into the canister and stored.

If there’s a leak between the fuel tank and the engine, the gas vapors will be forced into the engine. This then creates a flooded condition. This makes hard to start the engine, and when it does start, the engine runs very rough until the flooded condition is cleared.

To confirm if this is what’s happening, the next time you refuel the vehicle, hold the gas pedal to the floor when starting the engine. This tells the computer to go into the flooded mode, and the computer cuts the pulse signals to the injectors in half.

If the engine starts right up, have the ORVR system inspected for a leak.

Tester

Low fuel pressure. A lot of auto stores loan fuel pressure gauge kits with a deposit. A proper test will tell you if that is what to focus on.